Register & login to add your own
events, photos, news, comments…

Christmas Party Ideas

News Forums Forum Christmas Party Ideas

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  jharbourne 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

jharbourne
    Keymaster

Do you have any good idea for Christmas Parties for children and/or communities? I’ve been asked by some TRAs for suggestions…

I started the TRA Network so we could exchange good ideas.
    But I’m not sure if we have any good ideas yet about children’s christmas parties – we’re in fact planning one at the moment, but I’ve had no experience in organising them before.

I’ll make sure I schedule in a special evening on how to organise Christmas Parties for Communities in November next year as part of our TRA Network programme – and get some experts along.

I’m starting this forum discussion hoping that people will contribute their ideas. So come on – share your suggestions!

• We were having ours on St Nicholas Day (when many European Counties organise Father Christmas giving out presents), but now we’re having ours the week after.

• We’re starting at 5pm or 6pm, early enough for children to attend, and late enough for adults to stay on drinking afterwards.
    • We are having someone dress up as Father Christmas. I looked into costumes from Angels, but they were £180 a day to hire – so I bought one in Portugal last week for €30.
    • We are going to do a little ‘set’ in the corner of the community hall (an idea pinched from a shopping centre), a round rug on the floor, and a chair where santa sits, and a fire-place surround/mantlepiece and tree.

• We may set a time for the children to decorate the tree. We’re going with a fake one – as on the whole, it’s probably more ecological.

• Two of the residents are going to buy gender-generic presents, and wrap them for the children.

• We have balloons and helium from Argos left over from another party.

• We’re inviting everyone to bring a bottle and a dish, but essentially, it will be a social gathering.

• We’ll publicise it by printing flyers and putting them through everyone’s door.

• I’ve been assured that children will entertain themselves, and don’t need a lot of stimulus.

• We’ll have music, of course. And I’ve got tonnes of Christmas lights.

• One of our residents took photos of all the families – and he’ll be presenting them with their prints – as well as having a ‘dressing up box’ for the kids and setting up a ‘photo kiosk’ with printer.

I did suggest getting the kids to make the decorations – one year I made all the tree decorations out of gingerbread. And we grew a lot of gourds in our community garden this year, which make excellent decorations for Christmas.

If you haven’t had an award ceremony yet for your residents – then this is an excellent time to have it. You can have glass engraved awards for around £11 from Award Co and dress up some cheap champagne from Lidl in florrist’s cellophane.

THEATRE

We were thinking of taking children to an afternoon panto, funds permitting. And I’ve been told that the Unicorn Theatre is excellent for Children.
    The only other pantos I know are Wimbledon and Croydon. I may even write to the managers and ask if there are any community schemes or discounts.
    http://www.timeout.com/london/theatre/christmas-pantomimes-in-london#tab_panel_3

Zoe from Lambeth Youth Co-Op may have some ideas
    I know she’s taken kids to the theatre
    and she’s our guest speak at our Young People’s event on 1st December at Jubilee Hall

many thanks
    Jonathan

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  jharbourne.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.